Add to download list
Add to My Bookmark
This Legal Notice governs the access of the Ling Kee Publishing Group's websites at www.lingkee.com, ubl.lingkee.com, lkbs.lingkee.com, wle.lingkee.com, bla.lingkee.com) ("Sites") by users ("Users" or "you"). Please note that this legal notice may be subject to other privacy policies and legal notices appearing on our other websites, and to any expressly designated terms located on particular pages of our Sites. By using our Sites, you are accepting the practices described in this statement.
You may access certain parts of our Sites without registering or providing the Ling Kee Publishing Group and/or its affiliates or subsidiaries (collectively referred to as "LING KEE", "we", "us" or "our") with your details.
As the information on our Sites may be incomplete, out of date or inaccurate and may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, we reserve the right to update our Sites at our sole discretion. Thus, such information may be changed or updated without notice.
We reserve the right to make changes to this Legal Notice. Any changes we may make to this Legal Notice will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, we will also notify you by e-mail. Certain provisions of this Legal Notice may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms locate d on particular pages of our Sites.
Usernames and passwords
Where you have registered on our Sites and have been provided with a username and password, you agree not to make available your username and/or password to anyone.
If there has been a disclosure of your username and/or password, you agree to notify us promptly of such disclosure, so that LING KEE can take appropriate security measures and provide you with a new username and password.
We may suspend or cancel your registration immediately at our sole discretion without giving you any reasons.
You can cancel your registration at any time by logging on and following the instructions stated on the Sites.
Intellectual property rights
All materials on our Sites are the copyright of LING KEE or are reproduced with permission from other copyright owners. All rights are reserved. The materials on our Sites may be retrieved and downloaded solely for personal use. No materials may otherwise be copied, modified, published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written permission of LING KEE.
Ling Kee Publishing Ltd., Ling Kee Book Store Ltd., Unicorn Books Ltd., Ward Lock Educational Ltd. and BLA Publishing Ltd. and/or any other names of products or services provided by LING KEE and referred to on our Sites are either trademarks or registered trademarks of LING KEE.
All materials on or available through our Sites are (unless otherwise stated) copyright of LING KEE and its licensors. All rights are reserved.
Users are permitted to view, print and download the material for personal, non-commercial and classroom use only, but in so doing are not permitted to remove or amend any trademark, copyright or other proprietary notice. Classroom use refers to non-commercial uses by a qualified teacher during a class of students registered in a qualified educational institution ("classroom use").
Users are not entitled to modify the contents of our Sites or reproduce, republish, distribute, transmit, link, frame or deep-link it on any other website without the express permission of LING KEE. Users may not distribute, transmit, reproduce or publish by electronic or any other means any part of the data without the prior written permission of LING KEE. Users may not create a database in electronic or structured manual form by systematically downloading and storing all or any of the contents. All other rights reserved.
All trademarks used on our Sites are the property of their respective owners. The use of any trademark on our Sites does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement of our Sites by such owners.
LING KEE makes no warranties or representations of any kind concerning the accuracy or suitability of the information contained on our Sites for any purpose. All such information is provided "as is" and with specific disclaimer of any warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose, title and/or non-infringement. LING KEE makes no warranties or representations of any kind that the services provided by our Sites will be uninterrupted, error-free or that our Sites or the servers that host our Sites are free from viruses or other forms of harmful computer code.
In no event shall LING KEE, its employees or agents be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of opportunity, loss of data, loss of goodwill, loss of anticipated savings or loss of profits resulting from the use of our Sites even if LING KEE has been advised of such loss.
Neither party's liability for personal injury or death caused by negligence or for fraud is excluded or limited.
The exclusions set out in this Legal Notice only apply to the extent permitted by law.
Links to other websites are provided by LING KEE in good faith and for information only. LING KEE disclaims any responsibility for the materials contained in any websites linked to our Sites.
In addition, a link to a non-LING KEE website does not mean that LING KEE endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of such website or the products and/or services offered on such website. It is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojans and other items of a destructive nature.
Service access time
While we endeavour to ensure that our Sites are normally available 24 hours a day, we shall not be liable if for any reason our Sites are unavailable at any time or for any period.
Access to our Sites may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
Portions of our Sites may allow users to post their own materials. Materials posted by users do not necessarily reflect the views of LING KEE. By posting materials on our Sites, you represent that you have all necessary rights in and to such materials and that such materials will not infringe any personal or proprietary rights of any third parties, that such material is not technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data), nor will such materials be defamatory, unlawful, threatening, obscene or otherwise objectionable.
LING KEE reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to review, edit or delete any materials posted by users that LING KEE deems defamatory, unlawful, threatening, obscene or otherwise objectionable. Notwithstanding the foregoing, LING KEE expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for any material communicated by third parties through our Sites.
Global nature of websites
You recognise the global nature of our Sites and you agree to comply with all applicable local laws in your jurisdiction when using our Sites.
Information we publish on our Sites may contain references or cross-references to services and/or products offered that are not announced or available in your country. Such references do not imply that we intend to announce or make available such services and/or products in your country.
You agree that this legal notice shall be exclusively governed by the laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong SAR of the People's Republic of China. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this Legal Notice will preclude LING KEE from applying to any court to bring an action for the infringement of its intellectual property rights.
If you have any concerns about the materials which appear on our Sites, please contact email@example.com.
Amendments and versions of Legal Notice
This Legal Notice may be revised from time to time. If there is any inconsistency between the English and Chinese version of this Statement, the English version shall prevail.
Ling Kee Publishing Group ("LING KEE", "we", "us" or "our") is committed to protecting your privacy online.
By using our website, you are accepting the practices described in this statement.
What kind of information do we collect?
What kind of information do we collect? When you use our website (e.g. visit, register as a user, purchase products or services or apply for a vacancy on our website), we may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Sites, subscribing to our service, posting materials or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion on our Sites, and when you report a problem with our Sites.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes though you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Sites and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our Sites including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise, and the resources that you access.
- Where applicable, information that you provide to us when you apply for any vacancies through our Sites.
LING KEE uses "cookies" and other technologies on our Sites.
- Our web server may also collect data relating to visitors' online session, the use of which is to provide aggregated, anonymous, statistical information on the server's usage so that we may better meet the demands and expectations of visitors to our Sites. This type of data includes:
- the browser type and version;
- page visited;
- frequency and duration of visits;
- results, records, and accumulative progress from visiting interactive content;
- operating system; or
- the DNS address and/or domain name
- Certain LING KEE web pages may place a "cookie" on visitors' browser in order to provide personalized services and/or maintain their identity across multiple pages within a single session.
How do we use your information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that contents from our Sites represented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in the interactive features of our services, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our services.
- To help us understand more about how our Sites are used and to improve our Sites.
- Subject to applicable laws, we may also use your data, or permit our affiliates and/or partners to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
When do we share information?
We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
We share your information within LING KEE. We also share your information with our affiliates, our licensors, our agents, our distributors and our suppliers that assist us in making our Sites and/or the products and services on our Sites available to you (e.g. our hosting supplier).
If we believe that your use of our Sites is unlawful or damaging to others, we reserve the right to disclose the information we have obtained through our website about you to third parties to the extent that it is reasonably necessary in our opinion to prevent, remedy or take action in relation to such conduct.
We may also disclose or share your personal data in order to:
- comply with any legal obligation;
- enforce or apply any agreements or licences with you; or
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of LING KEE, our employees, affiliates, agents, distributors, licensors, suppliers, and/or our customers.
This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
If any part of our business (including those of our affiliates) is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchasers and their advisers.
Security and our partners
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Sites. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Updating your details and contacting us
Personal Information Collection Statement
This Personal Information Collection Statement gives you information Ling Kee Publishing Group ("LING KEE", "we", "us", or "our") governed by the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("the Ordinance") to provide to you in relation to the personal data LING KEE may collect from users ("User" or "you").
We may collect your personal data from time to time in its dealing with you, such as:
• when you purchase products or services at our Sites;
• register with our Sites;
• participate in or attend any activity of LING KEE;
• make product or service enquiry;
• or subscribe for newsletters or bulletins of LING KEE.
Depending on the purpose of the collection, the personal data we may collect from you includes your name, contact address, contact telephone number, email address, occupation, employer, job position. We will indicate on the forms collecting the personal data from you which of the data requested on such form is mandatory. If you do not supply the mandatory data, we may not be able to supply the products, services or information in relation to which the data is collected.
Use of personal data
The personal data collected by us may be used for the following purposes:
- processing your orders for products of LING KEE;
- processing your registration or order for services of LING KEE;
- verifying your identity for access to private contents of our Sites or event of LING KEE or for participating in activities of LING KEE;
- research and customer survey;
- billing and debt collection;
- dealing with your suggestions, enquiries and complaints;
- communicating with you generally;
- subject to the provisions of the Ordinance to direct market LING KEE's products and services to you.
Transfer of personal data
Your personal data held by us will be kept confidential, but we may transfer your personal data to a data processor (e.g. printer, production house or providers of mailing services) engaged by us to process or handle personal data on its behalf, subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Rights of access and correction to data collected
You have a right to request access to, and to request correction of your personal data held by us. If you wish to exercise your rights, please contact LING KEE's Data Protection Department by fax at +852 2811 1980; by post to 14/F, Zung Fu Industrial Building, 1067 King's Road, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong.
Amendments and versions of Personal Information Collection Statement
This Statement may be revised from time to time. If there is any inconsistency between the English and Chinese version of this Statement, the English version shall prevail.